Saturday, March 17, 2007

Good Deeds

At Bible study last night, we discussed the following passage:

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. -- Matthew 5:14-16

We began talking about good deeds and the difference between good deeds done for God's glory and good deeds done for other reasons. A question was raised which got me thinking: "If the whole world was deaf and no one knew sign language, how could we ensure that God received the praise for our good deeds? We wouldn't be able to verbally tell people about Christ and how He is the reason for the hope within us."

Certainly a person can exhibit their faith without using words. In fact, many times actions speak louder than words. But if we don't/can't use words to tell people that Jesus is the reason we are who we are and why we live how we live, then how do we show people that?

Is there a way to distinguish good deeds done for the wrong reason and good deeds done for God's glory? If a nonbeliever sees a good deed, they don't automatically praise God. How do we motivate that praise, praise vertically directed toward God?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well are we talking good deeds done by a Christian that thinks for whatever reason that you can buy grace, or someone who does faith compelled good deeds? Or are we talking non-believer vs. believer and how we can distuingish our good deeds from the others?

To digress, this reminds me a Friends episode when Phoebe argued that there was such a thing as an unselfish act and she tried throughout the episode to perfomr an unselfish act but was always rewarded for her kindness (which really ticked her off).

The key is non-verbal clues as you already pointed out. Which makes the argument for wearing Christian symbols either as a necklace, ring, and even tattoo (although that's a grey area for me. It seems the crucifix is worn by people who don't display Christian characteristics and makes me wonder if there some alternate meaning I don't know about). If it's a chance encounter, someone will have their answer to your kind act. If its an encounter with someone like a co-worker or friend, they will know from knowing you which makes it important to speak openly about your faith. Not in a Bible beating sort of way. Just by pointing out the obvious. Like, God really blessed me today, He...such and such.

Otherwise, there won't be anyway to distinguish us from world religions who emphasize good citzenship and kindness in their teachings.

Anonymous said...

[right reason]
First, what is a "wrong reason?" Is that limited to acting like the Pharisee praying on the street corner so everyone can see, or do we include people following the second commandment but do not follow the greatest (Matthew 5:14-16)? I will presume that both of these cases miss the "right" reason in their own way.

[why is the real reason blurred]
All works done for God's glory will reflect that glory. God's glory is reflected in the beauty of this world, but our fallen nature can keep us from seeing that glory. I'll see if I can get away with extending that reasoning to works we earnestly perform in service to God. To restate this in a more obvious manner, if a Christian performs an act of charity in good faith, but another individual does not see the glory of God in it, I suggest the reason is because we are tarnished children of God living in a fallen world.

[our own hearts]
Reflecting on my deeds, I see a duality. On one hand, I usually do not enjoy talking about "my" deeds. If I do something nice for someone else, it's my business. However, if I see God's glory revealed in those actions, or I am awed, humbled, and amazed by how He used me (or simply that He uses a sinner like myself), the opposite is true. Seeing that glory brings to me a feeling of joy and praise which I desire to express. So from that experience, I believe it is easy for us to know our own hearts: are we pridefully boasting or witnessing? We know what we are doing.

[the hearts of others]
I still haven't given you a straight answer for others, though. I'm not sure any mortal is capable of knowing another's heart completely, so identifying the intention of actions, is, at best, an educated guess which requires a knowledge of the situation and people involved. God can use anything for His glory. While Paul tells us to be spiritially aware of those in our circle of worship, my heart tells me that the most potent way to help others see the glory of God in our own actions is to truly discipline ourselves in everything we do. The most powerful way I know to "motive that praise, praise vertically directed toward God," is to live every day as our last as Jesus describes in Matthew 24:36-51. The Lord is watching His servants, but so to are the other servants watching. Every moment is important.

In response to anonymous:
I bought my first cross in eighth grade. It was the cool, trendy thing to do at summer camp. I occasionally wear one now, but I remember in high school worrying about wearing a crucifix. I was scared to death I may do or say something which was displeasing to God, moreso while I was visibly representing Him. My primary concern was that a non-Christian would see my poor example. The last thing I wanted was to cause someone to turn away. But so many wear the same visible clues without the faintest care as to their meaning. It's trendy (why did I buy a cross in the first place?). I know I am a sinner and I know I will make mistakes, cross or no cross around my neck. But I should *always* be representing Him, and the presence of a cross should change nothing. So, anonymous, I do agree with you. If we know our own hearts are in the right place, a visible sign is fine and dandy, but I really do have faith that our truly God-directed good works will reflect His glory. I do believe that living every day as the (or a) day of judgement allows others to see God's glory. He will use that faithfulness, symbol or no symbol.