Monday, July 30, 2007

Silver and Gold

My friend Mike made a comment on his blog about how many of his old friends are becoming passing friendships, where you catch up occassionally, but for the most part have moved on to different paths in life. This got me thinking, and realizing how many of my college friendships could be characterized the same way now. For me, the big reason is because I'm 1600 miles away from those friends.

I'm reminded of the kid's song "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold." I have "fond" memories of this song b/c Grandma used to make us cousins sing-along to it with the Wee Sing in Sillyville movie. But I seriously digress.

Back to the point....I'm the type of person that builds friendships through quality time: Finding a common interest and building memories together. What do I do when I can't spend quality time with my old friends, the way I wish I could? How do I stay in touch with people and know what's going on in their lives, when I'm not around them? Life (and God) has pulled me in a different direction, but I don't want to lose those memories and those friendships. To those of you that I've been horrible at keeping in touch with lately: I'm sorry. I wish I could throw a koosh with you right now, share a laugh with you, or have you over for another Garden Girls Party. Your friendship has made me into the person I am now, and I miss you. God might lead us down different paths, but you will never be replaced. And if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, or need a roadtrip and want to see the sights, don't hesitate to call me up anytime!!

1 comment:

Zach said...

Yeah this is such a tough thing. When I was in Qatar I felt it, and as I get older and stay in College Station even though folks my age have pretty much gone, I can really relate.

Add to that the harsh reality that a 40+ hour work week really constrains the schedule differently.

I look at my parents generation who seems to typically have fewer friends - maybe only 3, but they're usually fairly deep ones. I wonder if over time it will be like that for our generation - fewer but deeper. Or will we be more like the twitter/blogger/blogtalk/facebook generation - keeping everyone updated with everything, at least virtually. And I wonder which is better in the end.