Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Rome wasn't built in a day

We live in a society where everything is replaceable. Did your toaster go out? Don't fix it, buy a new one. Did your vacuum die? Don't waste time figuring out why, just buy a new one. It's a prime opportunity to buy an upgraded model, one with all the bells and whistles and gadgets you can ever need and probably never imagine. Why not trade in that 6 year old car for a shiny new vehicle? Do kids these days even know what it means to darn socks?

I have to admit I don't darn my socks when they get a hole. And I don't reuse my Ziploc bags. And I have thrown away my fair share of toasters, and lamps. We're running into a problem where it's much cheaper to mass produce large quantities of items than it is to spend man hours repairing a single item.

And I started thinking about how that mentality begins to seep into other aspects of our lives as well. Like instead of working out at the gym and eating healthy, people turn to quick alternatives like crazy diets, liposuction, or even cosmetic surgery to get what they're looking for. Or instead of nurturing and mending the friendships that really matter, we settle for acquaintances who don't really know who we are, what we value, or what drives us to keep going each day.

Maybe that's why I'm not a big fan of using a microwave. Sure, it's quick, easy, and efficient. But quick and easy doesn't usually equate to high-quality. And I'll take quality over quantity any day. Don't get me wrong, I love the conveniences of this modern world. I just think sometimes it causes us to go through life too quickly, become impatient, and forget that things that are truly worthwhile usually require a fair bit of quality time.

No comments: