Sunday, March 22, 2009

Yeehaw

I like country music. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Sure, sometimes country music is about sad stories, or mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or gettin' drunk. But not all country music is like that. There's a lot of really sweet country songs out there. I'm really not a sappy person, but lately I've been really liking the sweet country songs. One example:

Whatever It Is by the Zac Brown Band

Ok, I could do without the music video intro scenes and the first part of the 2nd verse, but all in all I think it's a sweet song. A good friend who's always been "just a few years older than me" once told me that when his fiance/wife would ask him why he loved her, all he could say was "Because I do. I just love you because you're you." When I first heard that, I thought it was ridiculous. If he couldn't articulate why he felt how he felt, how could she be sure his feelings were real and valid? But then I talked to her about it, and she said "Oh, I'm so glad he didn't give me a laundry list. Because if he had, then I would have always been worried that if I changed or no longer met that list somehow, he wouldn't love me anymore." She was free to be herself because he loved her for who she was, not some detailed checklist he was looking for. I think that's part of why I like this song. It makes me picture a younger Larry bebop-ing around, falling in love with Sally because it was just meant to be. And the fact that stories like that aren't just found in a country song, but can indeed be found in real life, gives me hope.

And finally, this is for Betsy, "Know what? I DO like Garth Brooks!" (aside from his crazy Chris Gains stage, but that's beside the point) :-)

No comments: