Since I seem to have more free time on my hands here in Florida than during any other time in my life, I purchased a Netflix subscription to fill some of that time. (Another motivating factor was my life-long inability to recognize famous movie quotes. However, I have since resigned myself to the fact that this will remain a life-long inability of mine.) After Brad Pitt reeled me into watching "Seven Years in Tibet" a few weeks back, I became interested in learning more about the Dalai Lama. My previous knowledge about the Dalai Lama was based purely on book knowledge about Buddhism. I ran across Rick Ray's documentary "10 Questions for the Dalai Lama". I liked the personal premise of the documentary: If you had 1 hour to ask a religious/political figure 10 questions, what would you ask?
The questions and answers were intermixed with historical facts, archival footage, and controversial issues, making for a well-done documentary. Some of the questions asked:
* "Why do the poor seem happier than the rich?"
* "How do you reconcile a commitment to non-violence when faced with violence?"
* "Must a society lose its traditions in order to move into the future?"
* "Will there be another Dalai Lama?"
* "Is internet freedom good?"
I find the Dalai Lama's practice of love, compassion, and peace inspiring. "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." But it breaks my heart that they are missing out on the true source of Love and Compassion.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment