Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What do we expect from God?

I've been thinking lately about what we as Christians expect from God. Think about it: what do you expect God to do in your life?

I'm really not sure if that's a good question, or a bad one, but the answers, especially those initial ones that come right to your mind, might reveal something to you about trust and faith.

Expect: "to consider likely or certain"; "to consider reasonable or due"

Are there times in our lives when we expect God to act? Isn't it also true that God can do the most amazing things when we aren't even expecting them? Just some food for thought. One thing I am certain of: God is gracious and merciful; He has promised us salvation through faith in Christ. We can certainly expect that from God.

1 comment:

Derek said...

You have a blog! And I found it!

One thought comes to mind. When Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were going to be thrown into the fiery furnace, they told Nebuchadnezzar that God would save them. But they also said that even if He didn't, they would still not bow to the idol.

God does not answer to us, and we are certainly not "entitled" to have Him act on our behalf. Yet He has acted on our behalf in Christ. We know that God will save us from eternal danger (because He keeps His promises). We may think He will save us from temporal danger, but we commend our lives to Him regardless.