I'm in one of those moods where I want to talk to someone about the 80 billion things going through my head, but everyone I know (and have the guts to call) is busy tonight. Since I'm trying to give up email (extremely hard), I'll just blog instead. Not much difference, I know. I'm not sure anyone but myself will benefit from my pontificating and summarizing, so consider yourself forewarned.
I guess I'll start out with the Newsboys concert that I went to with Lindsay a few weeks ago. I had an absolutely wonderful time (in spite of the fact that the lead singer does some funky things with his eyes), mainly because I got to catch up with Linds, whom I miss dearly. One surprise for the night was that Brian Littrell (a former Backstreet Boy) was there singing his new solo Christian songs. I remember being a freshman jamming in the microphone to the Backstreet Boys with Michelle and Betsy (yes, I still have those MP3s locked up somewhere). That night at the Newsboys concert, hearing Brian talk about his wife, his life, his future, I just remember being amazed at how God works. The Backstreet Boys didn't necessarily give God honor, but Brian was so thankful for those opportunities and that blessing. It has enabled him to get on the stage now, by himself, and sing his songs from the heart. God works in mysterious ways. I certainly knew that before. What I learned that night was that He also wants us to enjoy ourselves, when we give Him the credit. You have to tread very carefully with theology here and how to phrase things, because God definitely wants us to honor Him more than He wants us to be happy. But, He also knows how to bless us, He's given us the passions and talents that we have, and He wants to see us use those and enjoy His blessings, not waste them. If God gives you a desire and an opportunity that doesn't contradict the Bible, but that you're not quite sure how it will end up honoring Him, I think it's okay to pursue those opportunities, giving it to God and letting Him lead the way. I think we'll be amazed at how God opens doors and works in our lives, when He's got the wheel.
Brian's new song "Welcome Home" is also fitting for other things I've been thinking about:
"When I left home to be who I am
Some people said no way
But I laid it all down
Gave everything
In my head rang the words
That my father said
You're never far
I will be where you are
And when you come to me
I will open my arms."
Bets and I went up to the DC-area this weekend. We had a blast! We stopped by the FDR Memorial, and I got to see one of my favorite quotes etched in that memorial: "The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith." I sat along the Tidal Basin, looking out at the Jefferson Memorial, and thought about this quote. There are so many unknowns about my future, and sometimes I'm filled with doubt thinking things will never turn out. But God is faithful. He opens doors and continues to amaze me. And when that happens, I have to say without a doubt that God is the one doing the work, and I owe all that I am and all that I have to Him. If I had a motto for the past 6 months of my life, it's definitely "God is faithful." I've repeated this phrase numerous times, both as a reminder and reassurance when life's been utterly confusing, and as a praise and thanksgiving when God has answered prayers and prepared paths for me. There are still a lot of questions I have about the past 6 months, about why certain things are still confusing, about what God has in store for me from here on out. But the past 6 months or so have taught me that He is in charge and He will reveal His will in the proper time. And there's still a lot of question I have about the future, about where He is leading me and what He has in store. But He is preparing me for His future, and I must move forward with strong and active faith, keeping my eyes open to the opportunities He presents.
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment