Monday, August 14, 2006

Reminiscing

I ran across this article that I wrote for the church newsletter in December. Now that I'm ACTUALLY leaving A&M, I thought I'd repost it here for posterity. I'm really going to miss this place, but I'm reminded that this is a place of preparation, where God builds leaders and teaches us to put Him as the foundation of our lives. He then sends us out to places where that preparation can be put to further use to impact His kingdom. Times of transition involve trust. And stepping forward in faith is the only way to live for Christ.

----------
The other students at University Lutheran Chapel often call me “old” these days since I have been involved at ULC for more than six years now. Therefore, as an old Ag, allow me to partake in the tradition of reminiscing about Old Army days and share what ULC has meant to me:

As freshman, I heard there was a Lutheran church within walking distance from my dorm. Since my car was parked miles away in the infamous “Fish lot,” walking to church was very appealing. ULC was very small at the time, with about 30 people in worship, all college students except the pastor and his wife. I was instantly recognized as a visitor, but I was also instantly welcomed. The warm fellowship, combined with solid teachings of Christ as our Savior, convinced me to continue attending worship on Sunday mornings. Within a few months, I was attending ULC events throughout the week, taking on leadership roles, growing spiritually, and forming lifelong friendships.

I never could have imagined the ways I would grow at ULC through my college years. ULC provided opportunities for me attend mission trips, lead Bible studies, be an officer in Lutheran Student Fellowship, interact with international students, and even organize interviews as we looked for a new pastor in 2003. These experiences helped improve my leadership skills, but most of all they helped me grow in faith and keep my priorities in check.

ULC has grown tremendously since I first started attending in 1999. We now have an average of 80 people attending worship. We have a larger worship facility, a larger parking lot, even a larger kitchen (very important since Lutherans like to eat!) It has been a privilege to see this change take place and to see God at work in the lives of so many students. But amidst all the change, many things remain the same at ULC. Still today, freshmen are stepping up and taking on leadership roles. Students are making time in their schedules for Bible studies and spending their Spring Break on mission trips. Graduating seniors are preparing to be Christian examples in the workplace and to get involved in their new churches.

I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 4:7, which says “So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.” As I reflect on all the ways ULC and the people at ULC have grown over the years, I see the Lord’s hand at work through it all, and I give thanks to Him who has made it all possible.

No comments: