At what point is arguing helpful, and at what point is it harmful? See, I'm a non-conflict person to the bone. Sure, I enjoy friendly bickering or a playful argument when it's "all in good fun." But when it comes to serious disagreements and continuous arguments, I get frustrated and often have to just end the conversation or walk out of the room. I'd like to think that I try my best to see other people's point of view. After all, everyone has a reason for the way they act. No one goes around doing things they can't justify. At least, most normal, sane people are not like that. Instead, they have reasons and perspectives that influence their actions and opinions. But when middle ground can't be reached in an argument, at what point should we throw in the towel? Maybe the following quote sheds some light on that question:
"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." -- Joseph Joubert
Thursday, June 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment