How many times have heard Christians say "I'll just have to see what doors God opens and which He closes." Or from the Sound of Music "Whenever God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window." I guess we use these sayings as a way to get our tiny little brains to comprehend the incomprehensible ways the Lord works in our lives, as a way to look for divine guidance in this crazy world we live in, where we have freewill and choice. I have no doubt that the Lord opens and closes doors. He definitely steps in and helps guide us in the right direction. The problem is that I only want ONE open door. I only want one choice, one path to follow where I can say "yes, this is the way, I will walk in it and follow after You." In a way, I think that is very selfish of me, it's a way of taking the risk out of things and it doesn't require me to step out in faith. If there's really only one choice, then the path is clear, and where does faith come in? But then I think about it, and perhaps there really only is one choice -- follow Christ and live for Him. If my heart is truly seeking the Lord, trusting Him, and looking for His guidance, isn't it natural to EXPECT God to work in my life? To step in and provide paths and options for me? To lead me in a direction where I can serve Him, grow closer to Him, and trust Him? Walking through this one big door will lead me to other passageways of life, but I'm still in the big door, I'm still under the protection and guidance of Christ. All those smaller passageways are just blessings that the Lord provides.
Naturally, this leads to the question: When can we recognize an open passageway? At what point can we say, the Lord has His hand in this and I must follow to see where He is leading me? Closed doors are easy (frustrating but easy) b/c no matter how hard we try, we won't make progress. Open ones are harder to discern. How long will they remain open? I heard a quote once that "the opportunity of a lifetime must be seized within the lifetime of the opportunity." How true that is. We can't stay the same, we must move forward. Move forward in the Lord's direction, and trust. Trust in the Almighty's provision. Trust in Christ's blood. Trust that the Holy Spirit lives in us so that we can have faith. And perhaps more importantly, I need to stop overanalyzing God! He is faithful. I'm just on this adventure called life to learn and live for Him.
Thursday, June 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment