Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Time

As I get older, the concept of time just blows my mind. Everyone on earth gets the same amount of time each day. Yet people do so many different things with the amount of time they have. The kids in Uganda in Invisible Children spend their days surviving and avoiding the rebel army, because they have to. Some kids in America spend their days in front of a computer screen, because they choose to and have that "luxury". Dads spend their days in the office, college students at parties, the list goes on. I'm convinced that the key to success (aside from relying on God and avoiding society's view of success) is learning what to do with the 24 hours you are given each day.

I fail miserably at this. I try to stay busy, but I think my perfectionistic nature leads me down the path of spending way too much time on things that aren't all that important. I need to learn when to say "that's good enough". Or when to say "I just need to make a decision and move on with my life!" We all talk about time management, as if it's some foreign concept that no one is really able to achieve. Is it achievable? Probably not for a self-critic like me, until I change my perspective. I want to talk to those folks who have figured out the work-life balance. Maybe you have it figured out? If so, fill me in!! My sister tells me that life just gets more complicated. "Enjoy the easy pace of life now, while you're single and have time on your hands and your decisions only impact yourself." she says as I complain about things. I definitely see her point.

My goal for the week is to analyze how I spend my time. Are there things I can cut out and replace with more important things? What does it take to achieve that work-life balance?

1 comment:

Derek said...

Good post! In some sense, time management has gotten easier with marriage and especially a baby. If I want to get something done at home, there is a very narrow window in which I can do it now, so the added constraint forces me to use my time well. Or, if I decide to goof off, it increases the consequence.

For instance, I don't think it's a waste of time to watch a movie, but I do think it's a waste to watch a really bad movie. Pre-baby, we would just watch whatever we fealt like, even if it was inane and forgettable. Now we have to be much more selective, because it's not every day that we get 2 uninterrupted hours! :)