Saturday, October 14, 2006

Books

When I was a kid, I loved the public library and couldn't get enough of books. College and boring textbooks cured me of that disease, but for the past couple years, I've tried to get back into the habit of reading. I've since realized that I have a bad habit of starting a bunch of books and never finishing them. So, I was going to be like Betsy and say I wasn't allowed to buy another book until I finished all the ones I already have, but I forgot and bought Lifestories by the Casting Crowns lead singer this weekeend. So, now I have 5 books by my bed that I need to finish, and that's not counting the ones still in boxes that I've forgotten about...

I ran across a list of the Top 50 Books that have Shaped Evangelicals. Before you look at the list, I encourage you to think about what books and authors have impacted your life the most, maybe even post a comment about it. For me, it would include:

1 comment:

Derek said...

A while back I decided to do a "book snowball" (based on the debt snowball that Dave Ramsay teaches about for getting out of debt). I had a TON of books that I hadn't read, and it felt like an unpaid debt.

So I listed all the books I own but hadn't read, shortest to longest, and I was going to read them in that order. The list had about 50 books on it, and I think I got through 6 of them before I realized that I just needed to get rid of a lot of them. When they were sitting on my shelf, they seemed interesting, but the thought of actually reading them made me bored. So I made a trip to Half Price, sold them, and Karianne is trying to teach me how to use the library rather than buy books all the time (it's been tough, but she's getting through to me! :-)

Some books that have shaped my faith:

- Luther's Small Catechism
- God at Work (Veith)
- Mere Christianity
- The Hammer of God (Giertz -- this is really good!)
- Life Together (Bonhoeffer)
- Archie and Jughead Hit the Road

Have a great week, Stef!