Years seem to come in themes for me. 2003 was about trust. 2004 was about transformation and Romans 12:1-2. 2005 was about priorities and God's plans, Jer 29:11-14 stuff. I think 2006 is about contentment. I did a Bible study on contentment back in February, but I'm definitely still learning what it means to be content in every circumstance. I like the quote that "Contentment is not the fullfillment of what we want, but the realization of all that we have in Christ." At the beginning of 2006, I was definitely struggling with contentment. Work was frustrating, the church was changing, friends were moving on, I felt like I was standing still. The problem was that I was focusing on the things I wanted but didn't have, instead of realizing how much Christ has already given me. Consider for a minute how absolutely amazing the gift of eternal life is. How often do we glaze over that fact because we've known it for years? We don't deserve the gift folks, but it's ours. Everything else in life pales in comparison.
I've heard the phrase "Grow where you're put." A tree simply grows where its seed is planted. God has planted each of us where we are right now for a reason. I think realizing that is one key to contentment. Now that doesn't mean we get lazy and stop listening to where He is leading us and what He is up to. It's kind of a balance between making the most of each day and looking forward to His future plans. Reminds me of the lyrics of a hymn that's been going through my head for a while now: Hark, the voice of Jesus calling
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment