We had a guest speaker tonight from Christar, an organization that reaches out to the "least-reached" people around the world. Cherie amazed me. She's probably in her mid-30s, is single, and has an amazing heart for Kurds. Her confidence and assurance in the fact that God is doing mighty things, even though only a small percentage of Kurds are believers, and her dedication to the tasks the Lord has given her made a definite impression on me. She was very down-to-earth, reminding us that "God does not call us to convert people. He only calls us to share the Gospel truth, and the Holy Spirit works on the heart." She talked about summer trips to Iraq, classes to take to learn more, and a number of other things that I simply don't have time to do now that I've got a real full-time job. I left this evening's class kind of depressed wondering "But what can I do? What is God calling me to do?" Given some time and prayer, I'm a bit more at peace and settled down. For one, I can pray. For two, I can look for opportunities to build relationships with people I encounter. And for three, God gives us each our own gifts and talents and opportunities to impact His kingdom. God gifted Cherie with the heart and personality she needs to reach out to Kurds. It is her calling. God created me for a specific purpose. Whether that involves computers or college ministry or cookies or koosh balls, I'm really not sure. I'm still trying to figure out what His purpose is, but I'm confident that He's leading me somewhere. If Cherie and I switched places, she would not be equipped to deal with my daily tasks and opportunities, nor would I be equipped to handle hers.
Amongst all the handouts we got, there was a video that provides a basic overview on why some Muslims are peaceful and others are extremist, the difference between fundamentalist and modernists. If you have 12 minutes and are interested, it's here.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment